[DPRG] Off Topic: gcc help

Subject: [DPRG] Off Topic: gcc help
From: Stuart Stegall keltor at keltor.org
Date: Tue Jul 20 09:59:51 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 8:18 PM,  <warm38 at juno.com> wrote:
> The one who actually was able to compile FINALLY came forward and gave me
> the fix.
>
> #1 (which *I* found and he didn't mention) was that the target=xxx-elf
>   that was the same target for gcc which was down the line.
> #2 "configure" was looking for texinfo 4.4 through 4.9 and I have 4.13.
>    Texinfo 4.4 was from 2003.  I DID have texinfo, but my texinfo was newer.
>    Again, the problem was in "configure" and "make" comes along and barfs
> all over me.
>
> I finished compiling binutils and I'm still waiting for gcc-4.4.3 to
> finish.  I had to fix a few problems there.
> Ubuntu was a little more strict with some code, so I had to make some fixes
> to programs
>     cxxfilt.c  had "printf(var);" and no format statement for the string
> var.
>     gas/read.c and stubs.c had  asprintf(); and ignored the return value,
> and warnings were treated as errors.
> Cygwin complained about an unrecognized command line option
> -Wno-overlength-strings
>

> Oops.  gcc/builtins.c is missing a pile of variables __imp__mpfr_...  Oh
> goody.
>
> Anyway, original bad nasty directions solved.  Now onto new ones.  ...
> I should mention that problem #1 was found by suggestions from DPRG.  Thanks
> guys!
>
> wade (I sure miss Texas) in Florida
>
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:50:17 -0400 <warm38 at juno.com> writes:
>
> If texinfo/makeinfo is my problem... then I have a problem
>
> I tried to install using Synaptic Package Manager and it said it have it,
> but I tried your way anyway.
>
>  $sudo apt-get install texinfo
> <ask password>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> texinfo is already the newest version.
> texinfo set to manually installed.
> ---------------------
>
> Concerning target... the instructions I was given was to use
> ../binutils/configure --target=xxx --prefix=/opt/xxx/
>
> NOW, I tried
> ../binutils/configure --target=xxx-elf --prefix=/opt/xxx/
> And I get just a tiny bit further, but it still dies in the ..../bfd/doc
> directory with no information as to why.
> I also the the
> export TARGET=xxx-elf
> export PREFIX=/opt/xxx/
>
> and "xxx" is a substitute for the actual processor which is listed in the
> bfd case choice as
> "xxx-*-"
> and as I was looking I also did see
> "xxx" but no "xxx*"  Hmmmm...
>
> So anybody have any pointers as to why this <insert sailor's colorful
> descriptive language here> bfd keeps choking?
>
> here is my latest run on Ubuntu 10.04 AND on cygwin, so I guess it is pretty
> universal under Linux-like stuff:
> /opt/binutils-xxx
>  $make
>
> make[4]: Entering directory `/opt/bintuils-xxx/bfd/doc'
> [...]

Good that you were able to get past that.  Sounds like possibly somone
has played with configure a bit.  I can compile several old versions
of binutils with the current texinfo.

gcc might be complaining about mpfr because you need to install that
package (or because someone decided they would "try" to rip it back
out.)