[DPRG] PCB fab & SMD parts

Subject: [DPRG] PCB fab & SMD parts
From: Rick Bickle rbickle at intconsys.com
Date: Mon Jul 26 12:44:27 CDT 2010

Ray,

I use PCBFABEXPRESS.com for by prototype boards. For large volumes I use
a Chinese fab house. You definitely want the solder mask for SMT parts.

There are several good ways to manually assemble SMT boards. The best
depends on what pitch of parts you will be using. If you have a decent
microscope of about 5x to 10x, you can use a soldering iron and some
thin .020" wire solder to get pretty good results. It does take time
though. I just assembled a board with a 208 pin 0.5mm pitch QFP ARM9
processor using a microscope and soldering iron.

For hand soldering of SMT passive components, I recommend using 1206
size parts. SOT23's can be hand soldered, you just have to remember with
all of them to do it quickly. Holding the iron on the leads for more
than 1 second or so is likely to damage the part. It also helps to add a
bit of flux to the board before placing the parts.

I've been tinkering with using my laser to cut out .003" mylar sheets
for use as solder paste stencils. Haven't got it bulletproof yet, so if
anyone has advice here it would be appreciated.

Rick