[DPRG] Important DPRG Events this Week

Subject: [DPRG] Important DPRG Events this Week
From: Ed Paradis legomaniac at gmail.com
Date: Mon Jun 7 10:58:57 CDT 2010

Sure thing.

The bylaw changes that the Board has identified are as follows:

- Allow officers to grant honorary memberships ( The board would like
to get some community leaders as advisers.  Currently we have to then
turn around and ask them to join.  This isn't how things typically
work in the non-profit world. )
- Allow more advisers ( The advisory board is currently 5 people, and
we'd like to move it to 10. )
- Add pointer to policy manual ( Contains rules that don't warrant
inclusion in bylaws. For example "Don't leave things in the
refrigerator" is a good rule, but doesn't need to be updated with the
State! )
- Tweaks to quorum or voting rules (e.g. only officers + members can
alter location, etc)
- Add tiered membership levels ( to codify Makerspace level members )
- vote on keeping arbitrary annual membership cycle vs changing to
constrained annual membership cycle  (IE: Moving to a "pledge drive"
model instead of the "pay as you go" model we're currently on. )
- section 9.3 is too confusing and vague  ( No one can figure out what
its trying to do exactly. )

We're going to discuss these after the vote on Saturday.  I don't
think we will vote these in one block vote, because even inside the
board/officers there is disagreement on what needs to be changed.

Some of these are just house keeping changes from the original bylaws
written back in 2004-2005. Others are designed to allow the group to
get access to the more traditional non-profit funding and publicity
structures.

Ed Paradis
president at dprg.org