[DPRG] Mini-DARPA beacons, sonar

Subject: [DPRG] Mini-DARPA beacons, sonar
From: John Swindle swindle at compuserve.com
Date: Tue Jun 29 18:48:05 CDT 2010

Folks:

Five years ago, several of you were interested in navigation
beacons for your back yards to experiment with a mini-DARPA
Challenge. Members suggested using sonar, lasers, infrared, or
radio. I suggested using three loudspeakers (the beacons) and a
microphone (on the robot), without any radio or laser
synchronization. I couldn't get it to work then, but I have it
working now. It's like LORAN, but using sound instead of radio.

I don't want to build a robot, so I wonder if one or more members
would like to collaborate on adding the beacon receiver to his or
her robot and then win Square Dance and Figure-8. In the arena,
the beacons would probably be about 18 feet apart and the robot
would drive a 12-foot square. When the robot needed to
recalibrate its odometry, the robot would stop and listen. The
navigation location data would come from a script running on my
PC, but the robot would decide what to do with that data. The
robot would need to stop for about 45 seconds for an accurate
location. The robot might need to check its location several
times (which would take a lot of time), or, since the nav data
seem to be very repeatable, the robot could just check to see how
close it is to its starting position when it thinks it is
finished. Square Dance and Figure-8 are not timed, but I don't
know if the 45-second delays are acceptible.

My PC could either be carried by the robot, or the robot could
carry a wireless mic which would be self-powered (no interface to
the robot). Somehow, the robot would be told where it is. I don't
know what the best interface would be for giving the nav data
back to the robot. Someone would have to help me with that part.
If the robot doesn't carry my PC, then the interface would likely
have to be WiFi. If several members are interested in using the
beacons, then the beacons could be set up and left in place
during several runs and my PC could send nav data to the robots
(somehow).

I have a few questions for specific folks, such as:

Paul, Scott Sumner, and Will: I think you have robots that can
carry a one-pound wireless microphone or maybe a three-pound PC,
right? Are any of you interested in being the platform
collaborator? (I mention these guys because they've expressed
interest in beacons in the past, and I think they have robots
that can carry a payload. I don't mean to play favorites. Anyone
can use the beacons.)

Scott: May I borrow your wireless mic again?

Paul: If your Roomba platform were used, what does it take to
communicate by WiFi to your robot? My script can launch and kill
tasks.

Ron and Dale: To be more real-world, the beacons need to be run
as a separate gadget. I could use a second PC to do that, but it
would be fun to use a handheld microcontroller instead. I know
y'all both do that sort of thing.

Ed: About the contest rules: Is a contestant really allowed to
win Square Dance and Figure-8 with a robot that listens to
beacons? (If so, I predict nailing it to within a few inches.)
And is there anything special about a collaborated entry? Any
limit to the size of the team?

Ed: I've prepared a slide show. Let me know if you'd like me to
present how the beacons work.

Best to y'all,
John Swindle