[DPRG] Mini-DARPA beacons, sonar

Subject: [DPRG] Mini-DARPA beacons, sonar
From: Paul Bouchier bouchier at classicnet.net
Date: Wed Jun 30 22:15:20 CDT 2010

Hi John. Depending on accuracy, I'm interested in collaborating with you and
any other roboticists who are also interested. Jonathan & I have developed
wifi router technology suitable for communication from a robot to a PC,
which I'd be willing to share with others. The router runs Linux & uses
standard networking over wifi, and a serial port to talk to Roomba. I think
Roomba would be fine with a 1# mike load + the router & other misc.
electronics. Let's chat off-list.

We allow 3 minutes for a robot to complete the course, so a 45 second pause
or two to recalibrate odometry seems reasonable. I wrote the square dance
contest rules (which appear here
http://www.dprg.org/competitions/roborama.html ) and specifically allowed
beacons, with the intention of encouraging development of localization
techniques. The rules don't have anything to say on teaming.

You mention an accuracy of a few inches. Robots regularly achieve that
accuracy using odometry alone, especially on square dance. Figure 8 seems to
be much harder.

John - I would love to hear a talk to the club on the technology - I think
it would have broad interest. The montly talk schedule is here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AuGN4khnxA_qdGNGa1FWN2JHQkJhT1czU2F3
bnIwUnc&hl=en#gid=0 and we're flexible on certain dates. Let me or Ed know
what works for you & we'll find a way to make it happen.

Thanks for the update on your technology.

Regards

Paul