[DPRG] Soldering up boards

Subject: [DPRG] Soldering up boards
From: Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Date: Tue Mar 2 20:30:51 CST 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 20:19:06 -0600, Scott Sumner
<scottinthebooth at gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm in the process of soldering some boards that I had manufactured,
>but after the first one most of my sockets got soldered at weird
>angles because the connectors shifted while the board was upside down
>to be soldered.  Is there an accepted method to prevent this?  Best I
>can figure is some sort of paste or other "goo" that would hold the
>component in place until its soldered.

I use my pinky finger to hold the item while I tack one or two of the
pins. Of course that only works for small boards. Sometimes it gets
hot, but you could always put on a thimble or one-finger cut from an
old leather glove to provide some insulation.

I have a little squeeze heat-sink I use sometimes. Its basically like
a pair of spring-loaded tweezers, but with a very strong spring. You
can put that on one or more of the pins, and it holes the item pretty
well.

Later,
Jon