[DPRG] Dallas Maker Space Meeting at XMax games tomorrow (03-04-10) at 7pm

Subject: [DPRG] Dallas Maker Space Meeting at XMax games tomorrow (03-04-10) at 7pm
From: Ed Paradis legomaniac at gmail.com
Date: Thu Mar 4 09:26:29 CST 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 9:15 AM, A. Scientist <angryscientist at gmail.com> wrote:
> What fundamental difference do they suspect is in a laptop/desktop? It's all
> motherboards and CPU's and ram...

To be fair, the older laptops I had (back when P3 laptops were new,
c2001) were definitely 'slower' than their desktop counterparts.
Usually something like the Front Side Bus (FSB) was half the speed.
The ram ran slower.  The PCI bus was usually only 33 MHz, the
harddrive controller would only do .. well whatever the next step down
from the desktop was.  The hard disk ran at 4200 rpm.

Basically, they gave you the "previous generation" of everything in
order to get the cost down and the power requirements down.

Still, it should be fine.   Jose, I'd just go for it.  There will
_always_ be some part of a CNC that you want to tweak to make better,
so its better just to get it working instead of worrying to make it
perfect the first time.

Ed