[DPRG] RE: DPRGlist Digest, Vol 70, Issue 5

Subject: [DPRG] RE: DPRGlist Digest, Vol 70, Issue 5
From: David Jannke david at proboticsamerica.com
Date: Fri Mar 5 13:17:39 CST 2010

> > Gee, I guess I must live in the twilight zone - I've been running my
> > Sherline CNC mill for three years on an old Dell 1 GHz Pentium 3
> > laptop running Windows XP...
> >
> > And yes, I run Mach3.

I use something similar, though desktop and the entire machine is dedicated
to only running Mach3 with no non-CNC programs allowed.  I only had problems
once when the entire machine filled with wood dust.

It's strange how the more primitive the computer the better for driving low
end CNC.  The whole Mach3-CNC-CAD-CAM-Gcode environment seems trapped in the
usability, compatibility and hardware approach of the early 90's.  I suppose
either people are proud that they can decipher the old arcane approach, the
install base of machinery is too great to change or the demand volume for
the driver software is too small to support a real development effort.