[DPRG] Lithium Ion Batteries from BGMicro

Subject: [DPRG] Lithium Ion Batteries from BGMicro
From: Ed Paradis legomaniac at gmail.com
Date: Sun Mar 28 10:33:42 CDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I remember a few people getting these small lithium-ion batteries from
BGMicro when were still meeting at the warehouse:
http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=12861

The description mentions that it has some protection circuitry.  Is
this 'true' protection circuitry?   Can I, for example, charge these
with a series resistor to limit current off a 5V line indefinitely?  I
would just try it and write off any destroyed cells as experimentation
but for Li-Ion batteries' tendency to start fireworks.

I know that it general you can't do this, but the description suggests
it has some smarts built in, which usually means that you can.

Ed