[DPRG] Re: Lithium Ion Batteries

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Lithium Ion Batteries
From: David dpa at mail.isem.smu.edu
Date: Mon Mar 29 22:55:41 CDT 2010

Howdy,

LiPo batteries are in general not to be "toyed" with!  I've used several
hundred over the last few years in my R/C helis.  Most of the pilots I
know charge them in a fire-proof container, and many store and transport
them in a metal box or safe.  (I use a pyrex casserole dish for
charging.)   They are in some ways really not ready for prime time.

Bite the bullet and use a charger specifically designed for Lipos, with
all the attendant safety features, audible warning alarms, failsafe
timers, and voluminous manufacture's warnings.  Mine says NEVER leave a
charging LiPo unattended. (Almost all charge in one hour, regardless of
the A/H rating.  Some will charge faster, but no one recommends it)

Any LiPo battery that swells AT ALL should be discarded.   Here's me
flying a pack a few years ago that had swollen only slightly after a
previous flight.  Swelling went down in a few minutes, I let it cool
off, recharged and went back up:

<http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/heli/heli_fire1_m1.mpg>

Safety first!  I was lucky.

best,