[DPRG] Lithium Ion Batteries from BGMicro

Subject: [DPRG] Lithium Ion Batteries from BGMicro
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Tue Mar 30 08:31:30 CDT 2010

[Posted this the wrong way - never made it to the list, apparently]

Ed,

Good news & bad news:

The "PCB" (protection circuit board) in these cells is a very good one.  It's
not a replacement for a proper charging circuit, but for what you're wanting to
do, it will work, within reason.

BG has a detailed document characterizing the performance of the PCB and the
cell itself.  Finding that document may prove, shall we say, challenging.  Billy
is on the "injured reserve" list these days and is only in the office a few
hours a day, if at all.  I think he's the only one that knows where the document
is.  I've seen it, but that was many months ago.

One of the very nice surprises was that the PCB contained a PTC over-current
device, instead of a fuse.  In my experiments with these cells (doing pretty
much what you've been doing) I saw that the PCB limited the input voltage to
just under 4.2V going into the cell, as well as cut out as the cell voltage
dropped below, umm, I forget, but somewhere near 2.2V or so, to keep from
permanently damaging the cell from exhaustion.  It also has some sort of
temperature monitoring but I haven't tested that in the extreme.

These cells make a great combination with their 4.2V solar cells.  :D  90mA in
full sunlight.  One of the highlights of the mysterious document was test
results from hammering a nail through the cell.  The desired, and expected,
result was "no effect".

In re the "blowing up problem":  It's a solid polymer battery, so the spew
factor is minimal.  I recall Mike [of His Hobby Shop] doggedly *trying* to get a
cell to misbehave:  overcharging, hammering and filing away at it to no avail.
Your mileage may vary.  Beware the cylindrical cells, as they have a fluid
electrolyte that *does* overheat & spew when abused.

Please keep us updated as to your findings.  These cells are a great bargain.

Thanks,

Dale Wheat

(972) 486-1317
(877) DALE WHEAT