[DPRG] Re: Lithium Ion Batteries

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Lithium Ion Batteries
From: DeltaGraph at aol.com DeltaGraph at aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 30 08:35:41 CDT 2010

Ed,

>RC guys with massive batteries or at least massive discharge  and
>charge rates.  They treat the batteries like spent nuclear  rods and
>have stories of LiPo exploding and destroying small  cities.

HaHa! Nice. Now, I want you to go have a cup of coffee and rewrite the
email.  Ha!

OK, question: Is a low "C" pack less likely to result in nuclear  fission /
meltdown / fire etc. than a high "C" pack?

Are the raw cells the same? -- just the current limiting circuits
different?

I am using two of these in my balancing robot.
11.1 volt 2500mA LiPo rated at charge 2C discharge  3C-5C

_http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6955&Pro
duct_Name=ZIPPY_Flightmax_2500mAh_Transmitter_Pack_(Futaba/JR_
(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6955&Product_Name=ZIP
PY_Flightmax_2500mAh_Transmitter_Pack_(Futaba/JR) )

I have played with 30C packs in past. My new rule for future is to put an
inline fuse on one lead before EVER exposing any conductors on second lead
when  I unpackage a new battery.

Ron