[DPRG] Re: Lithium Ion Batteries

Subject: [DPRG] Re: Lithium Ion Batteries
From: David dpa at mail.isem.smu.edu
Date: Tue Mar 30 10:10:11 CDT 2010

Hey Ed!

Good point.  I'd still err on the side of caution.  Your robot is
probably more analogous to a heli than to a cell phone .  The cell, for
example, doesn't ever lock up it's wheels and provide essentially a
short circuit of the battery thru the motor windings.  Probably also not
a lot of hobbiest hardhacks going on in and around the circuitry of the
phone.   One of us (Dale?) once welded a pocket knife across the
terminals of a little Gates "D" cell by accident, and these batteries
can deliver that sort of current.

<http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/28/tech/main652128.shtml>
<http://ureport.foxnews.com/snc/ViewItem2.aspx?pguid=7fbf4cc0-49ae-455c-8e55-7eecb46b5e30&itemguid=010b2c13-cb74-49ac-bff0-e83396db908b>
<http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/cell_phone_batteries.html>
<http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/cpsc_cell_batteries.html>
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/113980/mobile_battery_problems_explode.html>

best,
dpa

PS:  I was there when Mike drove the nail through the battery and it did
burst into flame and was thrown out into the parking lot.  I''ve got
pictures somewhere.