[DPRG] Few Notes on Roborama 2010b

Subject: [DPRG] Few Notes on Roborama 2010b
From: Jeff Koenig koenig.jeff at gmail.com
Date: Mon Nov 15 18:04:41 CST 2010

Agreed - Many thanks go out to everyone who put forth effort to put on this
RoboRama!

John's acoustic locator's functionality was breathtaking, and I couldn't
imagine a better (or worse?) acoustical environment to show how well it
worked.  The noise level was very high, and those walls were very close.  I
can't imagine how much time John and Paul must have put in for their entry.

>Jeff Koenig had a robot in every contest including a sensorless "dumb"
robot that got him a 2nd place!

My goal was to have an entry in each contest that met the rules.  (My
tabletop "cheater" bot with its sub-4 foot wide block plow was made
specifically to see if I'd get booed).  "Sensorless" and "Dumb" are actually
complimentary for my outdoor robot - due to some last-minute self-induced
software problems, I punted and made its functionality really, really dumb
-  but it worked well enough meet the rules, start, get halted by a tree,
and grab 2nd place!  Special thanks to Brian Merritt for giving it its new
name - "George".  (Fans of old Jay Ward cartoons will understand the
reference.)

I agree with Ron - the energy was great, and I saw what I'd call a "bimodal"
crowd - some very sophisticated, and some brand new - a good mix!  I like
the idea of  having hands-on demonstrations during the competition,
separated a bit from the course itself, at kid-friendly venues like the
Museum of Nature & Science.  I'll see if I can make a kid-friendly BumperBot
for the next RoboRama.