[DPRG] Looking for a CNC Mill?

Subject: [DPRG] Looking for a CNC Mill?
From: Quinones, Jose jquinones at ti.com
Date: Thu Nov 18 08:08:47 CST 2010

Hi Group,

I already built my CNC machine, but I don't think this thing is going to work very well. However, since so many people seem to have gone with this route, let me ask then:

1. What CAM SW should I go with?

I am using MACH3 on my PC and the machine "works". There are quite a bit of unaccuracies which is why I was considering buying a real machine. But maybe my machine can be made to work if I were to find the motivation to continue the project.

Unfortunately, MACH3 comes with CHEAPO-CAM or, LAZY-CAM, which seems to me is virtually worthless. I mean is free, so what can we expect? If I want to do 3D stuff, lazy cam will not be it. If I want to do 2D stuff then it should be enough. But I want the 3D!

I do not have hundreds of dollars to toss into mid air in the hopes that the junky piece of crap I built is going to work, so I am not considering expending any money, if possible.

What do you guys recommend?

Also, let me take advantage of this opportunity to ask about the router. What you guys are saying is that I should transform the router into a turret with a belt so the motor is not driven out to kingdom come? The problem with this aspect of the project is that there is very little info out there on how to achieve it. I am actually thinking is not that easy at all! Hopefully I am wrong...

As always, thanks for your input!

JIQ

JIQ