[DPRG] Looking for a CNC Mill?

Subject: [DPRG] Looking for a CNC Mill?
From: Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Date: Thu Nov 18 11:52:30 CST 2010

Hi JIQ,

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 6:08 AM, Quinones, Jose <jquinones at ti.com> wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I already built my CNC machine, but I don't think this thing is going to work very well. However, since so many people seem to have gone with this route, let me ask then:
>
> 1. What CAM SW should I go with?

I really like SheetCAM
<http://sheetcam.com/>

It works really well for what's commonly referred to as 2.5D (which is
what I do most of the time).

I documented the overall process that I use:
<http://www.davehylands.com/Machinist/CNC/Making-A-Part/>

> I am using MACH3 on my PC and the machine "works". There are quite a bit of unaccuracies which is why I was considering buying a real machine. But maybe my machine can be made to work if I were to find the motivation to continue the project.
>
> Unfortunately, MACH3 comes with CHEAPO-CAM or, LAZY-CAM, which seems to me is virtually worthless. I mean is free, so what can we expect? If I want to do 3D stuff, lazy cam will not be it. If I want to do 2D stuff then it should be enough. But I want the 3D!

For full blown 3D stuff (like machining a human face), then you may
want to consider MeshCAM
<http://www.grzsoftware.com/>

It works for 2.5D stuff as well, but it isn't very efficient for those
types of parts.

--
Dave Hylands
Shuswap, BC, Canada