[DPRG] Holders for rotary encoder disks

Subject: [DPRG] Holders for rotary encoder disks
From: Chuck McManis cmcmanis at mcmanis.com
Date: Fri Sep 10 12:58:55 CDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:24 AM, Marple, James (TX95) <
James.Marple at honeywell.com> wrote:

>  I am looking for sources for hubs or holders that I can use to attach a
> thin etched metal or thin plastic rotary encoder disk to various sized
> shafts of small electric motors. Are there any storefronts (i.e. retail
> sources) in the DFW area? Also, looking for similar sources on the web.
>
> Thanks in advance!

This is a good news / bad news kind of thing James. There is no such
standard part as a encoder holder. However the good news is that its not
particularly hard to build one. By far, the easiest way to attach an encoder
to the motor is to mix up a very small batch of JB Weld (its a two part
structural epoxy) clamp the motor in a vice, use a holding jig to hold the
encoder in place, and then using a syringe applicator apply a ball of mixed
JB Weld to the place on the shaft where the encoder sits on the shaft. Let
sit for 24 hrs and you've got a mounted encoder. Very cheap, very durable,
and a very low investment.

Alternatively, if you can thread the motor shaft where you are attaching the
encoder you can put a threaded spacer on the motor axle, then install the
encoder by bolting through the encoder into the now mounted threaded spacer.

--Chuck