[DPRG] A sad day for some, great for others...

Subject: [DPRG] A sad day for some, great for others...
From: John Swindle swindle at compuserve.com
Date: Sun Sep 26 13:36:09 CDT 2010

I like Paul's comments about the difficulty of adequately
describing what an automated system is supposed to do. Recently,
I watched a friend produce use cases for a telephony system and I
wondered "Why not just go ahead and write the code?" The use
cases looked (to me) to be longer than whatever code would result
from them. Going back a few decades, I remember getting a
directive from a client who sternly told me, "This project will
NOT have flowcharts." Seems that today we've renamed "flowchart"
to cover several other things.

For me, the big problem is that when I'm trying to discover
something new or invent something new, there's no clear path from
specification to program. I envy the programmers who are given a
spec. For the beacons stuff, I wrote tens of thousands of lines
of code that merely gave the results of hundreds of experiments.
My original spec fell apart within days of starting the
experiments. The only thing that was immutable over the past six
years was the design criteria.

Good stuff.

John Swindle