[DPRG] Plea: Please vote on the proposed bylaws changes

Subject: [DPRG] Plea: Please vote on the proposed bylaws changes
From: Paul Bouchier bouchier at classicnet.net
Date: Sun Feb 6 21:48:23 CST 2011

DPRG members,

Our elections officer, Bob Jordan, tells me he has 19 votes so far. Thank
you to those who've voted.
We need 42 to make quorum. I can accept if the members vote down the
proposals (the members would have spoken), but we've worked hard enough that
I don't want to see it die because of lack of quorum.

A suggested template is included below.
  a. Just compose an email to dprgvote at gmail.com
  b. Copy the form into the VERY TOP of your voting email.
  c. Enter your name in place of the [Voters Name Here]
  d. Change the Dis/Agree to "Disagree" or "Agree" by each number
  e. Send the email

You are welcome to include short comments on any items, with your vote. Bob
will tally the votes and present them (anonymously) at the monthly meeting
next Saturday.

You are welcome to discuss the proposed changes on the dprglist at dprg.org if
you wish.

.---- Example Voting Form: --------------------

[Voters Name Here]

Dis/Agree	1.	Allow electronic voting by members using email or
other technologies
Dis/Agree	2.	Make bylaws voting compatible with electronic member
voting
Dis/Agree 	3.	Allow any number of advisors to the DPRG board of
directors; allow board meetings with remote participants.
Dis/Agree	4.	Allow the board to appoint honorary members
Dis/Agree	5.	Allow member dues changes to be made at any meeting,
not just the annual (January) members meeting
Dis/Agree	6.	Delete sentence which refers to a club credit card
which no longer exists

OTHER CHANGES:
Dis/Agree	7.	Increase annual dues from $20 to $40

.---- end --------------------------

Below is the background on the items being voted on and where to find more
information.

As discussed at the January annual members meeting, your board wants to make
certain changes to the bylaws, principally to enable members to vote
electronically, but also to tidy up certain elements of the bylaws. With 87
members, and a typical monthly meeting attendance around 25, we will never
get quorum for a member vote. The primary intent is to enable members to
vote electronically without reducing the quorum (which may make the club
susceptible to factions). There are disadvantages to voting by proxy (how
this vote is being done), which we wish to overcome.

We discussed the proposed changes at the January members meeting, and made
certain changes based on member input. We will hold a vote on the changes at
the February 12 monthly meeting, and our elections officer, Bob Jordan, will
cast the proxy votes received by email. Members may vote at the meeting if
they desire.

EXPLANATION OF PROPOSALS
A pdf markup of the proposed changes to the bylaws is at:
http://tinyurl.com/2011FebBylawsProposedChanges and the explanations below
refer to section numbers in the bylaws. The markup is best viewed with Adobe
Acrobat Reader.
1.	A new section, 4.7.1, is added, incorporating wording from the Texas
Business Operating Code, which allows electronic voting and specifies the
general process to be used. The board makes a proposal, the members have 2
weeks to review and discuss it, then it is discussed in a member meeting,
then it is voted on for 2 weeks. Also, 4.7 is extended to show that such
votes are actions of the members.
2.	Article 15 (amending bylaws) is made compatible with the member
electronic voting process in the new section 4.7.1.
3.	The board wants to appoint advisors who can help us go after grants.
The current limit of 5 advisors is too low. See section 2.1. Also, the board
should be able to meet using teleconferences or other remote communications
technology (section 2.7).
4.	Certain individuals who are club benefactors, or who need to be
members but can't receive benefits, should be given honorary (non-voting)
membership gratis. See changes in 4.1 - 4.5.
5.	The board wants to increase member dues (see later explanation), but
section 4.4.1 only permits this to be done at the annual members meeting
(January). The change permits this to be done at any meeting..
6.	No-one could explain the reference to "obligating the credit" until
past-president Bob Jordan explained that that referred to a credit card in
the club's name. There is no longer a card, so we want to delete the
reference.
7.	The board wishes to increase the revenue from member dues so that it
can purchase Directors Insurance, and can build a funding cushion to help us
meet the Makerspace obligations, should that become necessary. Dues haven't
changed since the 1990's, but the inflation has eaten into buying power, and
the value provided by the club (in terms of Makerspace access) has
increased.

Please tolerate us - I'm going to ask the board to run a "get out the vote"
campaign, and you may receive more than one reminder, even if you've voted.
(The board doesn't know who voted and who didn't.)

Thanks for your support

Paul Bouchier & the DPRG Board