[DPRG] Re: FW: [robotics-worldwide] mechanical engineer opening

Subject: [DPRG] Re: FW: [robotics-worldwide] mechanical engineer opening
From: vincent lopresti spaceminers2010 at yahoo.com
Date: Sat Feb 19 14:40:24 CST 2011

thanks for thinking of me. unfortunately, i lack the min requirements. plus, i dislike florida. cali maybe.

hey, my power stand-up wheelchair is now broken. medicare says it's too costly to repair. so, i'm thinking of using some of the parts to make my own walking suit. the modification will be simple....

1. remove the base from the standing frame
2. split leg hardware into 2 seperate units. [will need extra linear actuator]
3. mount batteries onto the rear side of leg support.
4. attach drive wheel to each foot support.

with this reconfiguration, the user would be able to make individual rolling steps [up or down stairs & curbs] as well as rolling and turning while standing.

i've seen many variations of exoskeletons, military-grade, HAL, Rewalk, etc. however, even the ones designed for the partially disabled are very cumbersome and awkward to put on and take off. i'm focusing on a design that is made for severely disabled individuals such as myself. i have no muscle activity from chest down. i also have no finger dexterity. most designs hold you in place with dozens of velcro straps. very difficult for me to deal with. the unique design i'm focusing on eliminates all straps making the unit quick & easy to put or and remove.

i'm re-organizing the robot lab for this project. everyone is welcome to come by and help out! :)

checkout the lab at http://www.livevideo.com/spaceminers

robotrock =]