[DPRG] DPRG talks on cheap/free electronic/firmware/mech construction

Subject: [DPRG] DPRG talks on cheap/free electronic/firmware/mech construction
From: Paul Bouchier bouchier at classicnet.net
Date: Sun Jan 30 00:55:50 CST 2011

DPRG and Dallas Makerspace Members,

How many times have you wanted to build an electronic or electromechanical
project that had a handful of I/Os and needed a little smarts and had a
physical presence, but you didn't know where to start? Over the next 3 or 4
months, the DPRG will hold a series of talks at our monthly meetings
covering topics in physical computing which will address that need.

We will cover areas useful to those who build projects which involve
construction of electronics, firmware, and/or mechanical pieces. While the
talks will not teach you how to be a circuit designer, firmware programmer,
or mechanical engineer, they will show you how to combine your existing
knowledge in those areas with inexpensive or free tools and techniques to
bring projects to life which involve one or more of those disciplines.

I'm excited to announce our first three talks:
1.	Feb 12: How to build circuit boards using the transfer toner method
- Doug Paradis
2.	March 12: How to design with and program the Atmel ATtiny family of
microcontrollers - Dale Wheat
3.	April 9: Embedded programming techniques and robot firmware - Paul
Bouchier

Follow-on topics will be selected based on interest, and may include:
o How to capture schematics and design circuit boards using free tools
o How to use free tools to create mechanical designs for the laser cutter

The talks will be accompanied by construction of a project. Attendees will
have the opportunity to build a (naturally enough) small robot, using the
techniques described, and a design which can be modified as desired. The
techniques described are applicable to a wide variety of embedded system
projects.

Meetings are held on the 2nd Saturday of each month, beginning at noon at
the Dallas Makerspace, and are open to all. The calendar is at:
http://www.dprg.org/calendar.html
and contains the address and a map. A more detailed map can be found here:
http://tinyurl.com/DMS-entry

Regards

Paul Bouchier
DPRG President