[DPRG] DPRG bylaws voting REQUEST

Subject: [DPRG] DPRG bylaws voting REQUEST
From: Paul Bouchier bouchier at classicnet.net
Date: Mon Jan 31 23:31:54 CST 2011

Ed, thanks for the excellent questions. I'm copying the list, because if you
were wondering, probably other people are too.

Please everyone feel free to post any questions or concerns regarding the
proposals up for vote, and I'll do my best to explain them.

-------------
Regarding your comment on 6: we've always been unclear on exactly what it
meant. You can suspect a meaning, but it's basically unclear.

Section 9.3 says, "No member or officer of the corporation shall be
authorized to obligate the credit of the corporation beyond its current free
credit balance in the corporation bank account(s)."

What does "obligate credit" mean when taken outside of the credit-card
context in which it originally existed. For example, did we obligate the
credit when the membership agreed to be a Dallas Makerspace leaseholder and
pay a certain portion of the rent over the course of a year lease which
exceeded our then current free balance? To answer that in a way that didn't
violate the bylaws we had to rub brain salve on our forheads :-) and tell
ourselves that there must be some time period over which obligations should
be considered.

When Bob explained that the club needed a credit card to get established as
a 501c(3) corporation and that's what section 9.3 was about, it made sense.
We felt that rather than try & extend the bylaw in some way that was never
intended and try to make it more general, it was better to remove it.
Regarding your comment on 4, the bylaw refers to honorary corporation
members. This is made clear in section 4.1.

Thanks for your thoughts & questions Ed.

Regards

Paul