[DPRG] The ideal robot controller

Subject: [DPRG] The ideal robot controller
From: Randy M. Dumse rmd at newmicros.com
Date: Tue Nov 29 17:40:43 CST 2011

David Anderson said: Monday, November 28, 2011 11:12 PM
> I've opined this before ...
> Just pick one.  And start practicing.

I remember, and it has taken my time to wrap my head around your
point, and see the value of it.

I've read "Outliers"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book) and "Talent is
Overrated", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Colvin that
both suggest it's not talent but time invested. So we have that
as a basis of agreement. However...

Is your argument that sticking to one robot is like sticking to
one instrument? Analogies, of course, have limitations. You
surely wouldn't argue you could start learning on a Rogue
Starter Acoutstic Guitar, but should not then progress to a
Gibson Hollow Body, because you need to continue to play the
starter to get better? That sure isn't my sense of it (or my
personal experience of learning guitar). As the strings get
lower to the frets, the neck truer and straighter, the play is
easier, sound is better, your fingers don't hurt as much, move
between chords moer easily, etc. Same play, radivally different
results.

So back to you, what do you mean "start practicing". What does
that mean in the case of robotics? (modifying programs without
hardware changes or what?) And why doesn't a "better" intrument
doesn't give better results?

Randy