[DPRG] serial to parallel shift register with _individually_ tristate outputs

Subject: [DPRG] serial to parallel shift register with _individually_ tristate outputs
From: Wes Grimes wesgrimes_2000 at yahoo.com
Date: Sat Oct 8 16:07:34 CDT 2011

74hc595 is either on or open (hi-z) to my understanding. If you need on or off, add a pull down resistor to the output. If you are looking for a shift register that is either on, off, or open (tri-state) I don't think that exists. The answer would be to double the number of registers and inverse the output of the ones you want to go to ground. A byte can only give 8 instructions of either on or off, so a shift register can only be bi-state.