[DPRG] serial to parallel shift register with _individually_ tristate outputs (Ed Paradis)

Subject: [DPRG] serial to parallel shift register with _individually_ tristate outputs (Ed Paradis)
From: Joel Andre joel.andre.home at gmail.com
Date: Mon Oct 10 12:36:36 CDT 2011

Ed,
you are most likely going to need to combine a shift register chip with a
bus transceiver chip if you need to have actual tristate Hi-Z capability. If
you can live with Wire-Or type stuff you can maybe do something with a
resistor network pack (pull ups etc) but even that is going to cost you a
chip.  Look at the 8 bit bus transceiver chips and see if you can find
something to your liking and cascade the outputs of the latch into the bus
driver.  The good news is that they drive way more than TTL levels so that
may be helpful somehow, relative to power consumption it will not be if you
are wanting low power but range of  technology out there. You can probably
strap the pull up/pull down with larger resistors if you don't actually need
a transciever output capability and want to limit power and current.

Joel