[DPRG] [DMS] Using HDD read/write heads as magnet sensors?

Subject: [DPRG] [DMS] Using HDD read/write heads as magnet sensors?
From: Chuck McManis cmcmanis at mcmanis.com
Date: Thu Oct 13 13:07:44 CDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Oguz Yetkin <oyetkin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in the more recent sensors, which, to the best of my
> understanding, use Giant MagnetoResistance (GMR) effects to read the
> magnetism.
>
> What I don't know how to do is to interface with the electronics.  I
> suppose I'll have to rip out a read head or two and hook it up to a DAQ
> system with some applied voltage (which may, of course, prove to be naive).
>   You're probably right about the local sensitivity, which actually would be
> a plus for me.
>
> Which leaves me with the question:  does anyone have any hard drives
> (preferably recent) I can take apart? :)

The good news is that 'dead' drives are really really easy to find. Probably
any computer store, certainly and company of any size their IT department
will have some. The not so good news is that the driver for the read/write
heads is built into the servo control chip which is on the mainboard of the
disk drive and is a completely proprietary part. So what that leaves you
with if you take the leads directly from the disk arm is a fairly
sophsiticated pre-amplifier stage, probably a flash adc and a small DSP to
convert what the head 'can see' into something you can use.

--Chuck