[DPRG] free robot brain

Subject: [DPRG] free robot brain
From: richard neveau rsneveau at hotmail.com
Date: Fri Oct 28 14:53:57 CDT 2011

> I haven't played with eclipse yet. I tend to prefer to use my own editor
> along with hand-coded makefiles.

If you don't want to use IDE for building IAR has a command line mode also.
But for old style makefile development the CodeSourcery ' Lite '  tools
https://sourcery.mentor.com/sgpp/lite/arm/portal/subscription?@template=lite
http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/sourcery-tools/sourcery-codebench/lite-edition
are free for unlimited size projects.
You want the EABI version for embedded development.

I have not used this technique with STM32 but with NXP ARM projects in the past  that used CS Lite I had a makefile 'run' target set up to call command line tools to send program down to MPU via serial port automatically after a rebuild.
On STM32 you should be able to use the 'built in serial bootloader' with a utility like
http://code.google.com/p/stm32flash/
it works on windows or linux I think. Might be python based.
Linux cmd line would be something like

     stm32flash -w blinky.bin -v /dev/ttyS0 -g 0x0
so something similar can be stuck in your makefile.

ST also has a flash download example PC program that uses serial bootloader but can't find it on the STweb site now. If I find link I'll send it along. It might have cmd line version.

IDE's are really worth the learning curve for debugbut until you climb that hill there are still makefile basedsolutions that work.
    ------
Also if just starting with an IDE I would use Rowley or IAR (I use both) before diving into Eclipse based tool chains like Atollic or CodeSourcery Full or Code Red or TI CCS or Freescale CodeWarrior.
I think you can see a trend that Eclipse based tools are popular for embedded development but that is because Eclipse is 'free' not because it is an easy to use robust IDE for embedded development.
If you have trouble with Eclipse learning curve  or find it too flaky in debugmaybe try a spin with IAR or Rowley.

For the open source guys Rowley works on Linux and SunOS.
http://www.rowley.co.uk/arm/
I have the 'Personal Edition' for my midnight engineering as it is only $150. 30 day trial is free.
For 'work' use it is much cheaper than IAR ($1500) and just as good in day to day use (IMHO).
I still have IAR Kickstart (32K limit version) installed on all my development PC's as IAR is generally first to support new chips and eval boards as they are the 'gold standard' for embedded tools.
But that comes with 'gold' like price unless you use the 32K size limited kickstart version - then it is a great deal.