[DPRG] Iron core for small electromagnets

Subject: [DPRG] Iron core for small electromagnets
From: Wes Grimes wesgrimes_2000 at yahoo.com
Date: Mon Oct 31 15:26:59 CDT 2011

I am building 46 small electromagnets to make a huge electromagnetic 7 segment digital clock.

I built a prototype segment (2 magnets) using 30 awg magnet wire and zinc plated threaded bolts (1/4" diameter). Using a 12 volt source, the magnets worked great.

They are 5/8" long and 5/8" wide, with (a lot...) of turns of wire.

I have read that "soft iron" is better for use as the core due to it's magnetic properties. I found several places on line selling the stuff at prices that will make my project too expensive to tackle. The wire is already costing a small fortune...

I am curious if there is really that big of a difference in the core material to warrant the extra expense, and if there is a happy medium that I can buy locally (Dallas).

Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Does the DMS have a mailing list?

Thanks,
Wes