[DPRG] Hello again DPRG. (Re-Introduction) and long message.

Subject: [DPRG] Hello again DPRG. (Re-Introduction) and long message.
From: Huff, Brian L bhuff at uta.edu
Date: Mon Apr 16 17:37:07 CDT 2012

Hello Brad,

I enjoyed your post.  There appear to be a lot of us that are asking the same question, "why is personal robotics so hard."   I think you presented very good reasons: the multi-disciplinary nature of robotics work,  the fact that, to get a well behaved and reliable robot everything has to work (the mechanics, the code, and the electronics).   The building blocks that the average hobbyist can afford are typically not that great.  The sensors that are available to us tend to be imprecise and noisy.

>From talking to David Anderson I get the impression that in addition having a superior robot, one of his greatest strengths was that he was willing to spend a large amount of time "working with his robot".   I work with students at UTA.  We build (OK, we try to build) unmanned systems.  I am continously amused by the fact that my students become confused when a robot they are building does not act the way they think it should.  They assume it wiill work the first time

Brian Huff