[DPRG] Hello again DPRG. (Re-Introduction) and long message.

Subject: [DPRG] Hello again DPRG. (Re-Introduction) and long message.
From: Brad garton bgart at iadfw.net
Date: Mon Apr 16 14:05:34 CDT 2012

Thanks Jason,

I was aware of ROS, but have not spent a lot of time with it,  and you are
correct it certainly looks like it can make  a big part of the problem
easier.   I would be interested in what others have to say.

Will hobbyists now buy kits premade for ROS or something similar? Will the
MEs among us build new platforms with a variety of controller options? Is
the crowd source/open source approach going to displace the fiercely
independent development of the past? I don't know.  I was a homebrew
computer builder at one point. A hobby which it doesn't make nearly as much
sense to do now that computers have become ubiquitous and cheap.  Now that
energy is better spent pushing the development in  a different direction
(the LAMP development you mentioned for instance).   I still think there are
bragging rights to be had in doing it yourself, I definitely wouldn't want
to deprive robot builders from that joy, but truly useful robots are a horse
of a different color, and that's where I would want to get to.  I think

For robotics in general that's a much bigger and much more exciting problem,
and still in my opinion difficult (not impossible) for an individual even
with ROS like platforms. I feel pretty energized about the possibilities
though.

I really appreciate the response. Thanks for the great links as well. I saw
the ROS video come across my email and had not had time to watch it yet. I
will do that.