[DPRG] Roborama 2012b Report

Subject: [DPRG] Roborama 2012b Report
From: Paul Bouchier bouchier at classicnet.net
Date: Thu Dec 20 09:37:08 CST 2012

A HUGE Thank you to Jason for organizing a very enjoyable and successful
Roborama 2012b, and for enduring the headwinds that buffeted the event,
such as date changes, and for feeding the starving hords. About 20
people and 5 robots turned out for a warm, sunny day beside Lake
Lewisville. Jason brought meat for everyone, people brought sides &
desserts, and we enjoyed a cookout inbetween tuning robots and trying to
make them run the 400' racetrack course laid out across my and my
neighbor's back yard.

Patrick took first position by completing 3 turns of the course (about
2/3 of its length) using compass and odometry on a Lego/mindstorms robot
that he started programming when he arrived!!!!!! He showed his mastery
of simple and elegant solutions that work.

Paul and Jason took second with a vision-based mars-rover-style ROS
robot called JRover made of mostly Vex parts which they've been
programming since August. :-( JRover made it around one corner (about
1/3 of the course).

Please consider coming out and showing your robot at the First Lego
competition at Hockaday school on Saturday Jan 12. Note this is the 2nd
Saturday - normally the DPRG monthly meeting date - we'll reschedule the
meeting. Contact Paul for details.

Paul