[DPRG] Red Bull Creation

Subject: [DPRG] Red Bull Creation
From: Greg Needel greg at robogreg.com
Date: Thu Jul 19 10:38:35 CDT 2012

Hey all,
   I have been getting some questions as to what this is all about, so
I thought I would explain a bit more.

Last year some of the production guys from Maker Faire pitched an idea
to Redbull and started this competition called creation, the sole
purpose is just to build something cool in 72 hours. The time limit is
there as a challenge so that you can push yourself to see what can be
finished.  Last year they flew teams of 4 to NYC for the build, it was
very fun, but very expensive.  So this year they decided to switch it
up a bit and do this competition as a webcast where you build in your
own space.  This year they hosted a qualifier again, which I built
with some friends and we once again were selected.  You can see all
the qualifiers here
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5847CB6F4CA62EC2&feature=plcp

I was forced to change the build location from where it was going to
be to the Maker Space due to a number of reasons but the good thing
about this is that now it is opened up to more people. You see there
is no limit to the size of a team, and just like any build, the more
people you have the greater the amount of stuff you can accomplish
(especially since the time frame is short.

This competition should actually be quite a big deal for the
makerspace, as now we will be getting national recognition for being 1
of only 12 teams competing.  The other teams are from other
hackerspaces and companies from around the US.  Some noteable teams we
will be competing with include the guys behind the website
Hackaday.com and a team from the website instructables.com   You can
see all the teams at www.redbullcreation.com  Our team name is
"midnight invention"

As for what we will be building, I honestly don't know at this point.
They will give us a theme and say "go" and we can build anything that
relates to the theme as long as it is finished within the time period.
 Last year the topic was "energy in motion" which meant we had to
build a device to transport a member of the team without using fossil
fuels.  The topic will be broad enough that we can build almost
anything. Once again, the main idea is that we will have fun build a
big project and challenge ourselves.

So here is the deal, tonight at 8pm the time starts and we start
designing and building, I welcome anyone who is slightly interested in
being involved to come check it out.  If you can help out for a few
hours, Great! If you want to say awake the entire 72 hours with us,
that is awesome!  One of the things that I think has been missing at
the space is a big project. Not since the Tedx at SMU have we come
together to do something really big.  I know this is very last min,
and I don't have the relationship with alot of the new members as many
of the old, but trust me when I say that you will not regret getting
involved.

I hope to see you all tonight and if you have any other questions
please feel free to contact me either by email or by phone.

Greg
4109636085