[DPRG] two tech questions

Subject: [DPRG] two tech questions
From: Erik Petrich epetrich at ivorytower.norman.ok.us
Date: Thu Jul 19 12:46:56 CDT 2012

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012, -Old Dog- wrote:

> (1) I want to to connect an XP computer to a Linux box running Red Hat
> Linux and bring up a GUI interface on the XP box. The Linux box
> interface is SSH. I can connect to the Linux box in command line mode
> now using Putty and SSH. I need to be able to see graphical utilities
> like textedit on the PC. I am looking at possibly VNC or Cygwin but have
> not found the details of how to do it yet.

I've liked Xming better than Cygwin's X server.

   http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/

> (2) My wife and I watch most of our TV through either netflicks or
> youtube. I'd like to use a dedicated machine, rather than hooking &
> unhooking my laptop. However I have yet to be able to find a machine
> that meets the following requirements: (1) HDMI output (2) built-in WiFi
> (3) small form factor & looks nice (4) enough muscle to web-surf easily
> (5) keyboard and mouse interface [am not interesting in aligning a
> smartphone or whatever is popular right now]. Any suggestions guys?

I think the Mac mini fits this niche nicely. They have dropped the
internal DVD drive in the current models, but you hadn't specified that as
a requirement. Mine is very quiet and barely gets warm, even when I have
all the cores doing something.

   Erik