[DPRG] Redbull in Dallas for video 7/3 - 7/5

Subject: [DPRG] Redbull in Dallas for video 7/3 - 7/5
From: Dick Swan dickswan at sbcglobal.net
Date: Sun Jul 29 16:55:38 CDT 2012

Greg:

I'm interested in involvement in the video. I can offer a couple of
potential topics:

1.       I work with a group of high school students on robotics projects
and a few of their projects might be interesting. In particular,

a.       A "Remote Controlled NERF Machine Gun". They built a large pan-tilt
base from VEX mechanicals and control it from a VEX remote control.

b.      We built a couple of quadcopters and could display them.

c.       They're currently working on an Entry for Atmel's College Robotics
Competition to be held at the New York Maker Faire in September. What we can
show is three different line following robots that they've built so far.
Physically they're similar and based on a Parallax Boe-Bot with an Arduino
controller but have different control software algorithms. This past winter
the boys were beta testers of the original prototypes of the Arduino shield
for the BoeBot. They're writing several magazine articles as a fund raising
activity for their travel costs to New York.

d.      They've built a scratch built remote control using X-Bee and a
couple of joysticks to control a Arduino based Parallax Boe-Bot.

(C) and (D) are currently working. (A) and (B) used to work but need to be
dusted off to confirm they still work. I'll check with the kids to ensure
they're interested and available next weekend.

2.       I'm the principal developer of ROBOTC. It's an inexpensive
commercial programming environment for small robots. It currently supports
LEGO and VEX robots and we're just releasing a version for Arduino. The
tie-in to the "Building the Future" is that its targeted for educational use
in middle and high schools; it's currently deployed in about 10,000 schools
and has about 200K student users every year.

The "Virtual World" feature of ROBOTC is an interesting feature that would
show well in a video; it allows you to simulate your robot in a realistic
3-D PC-based graphical environment with software code that can then run on a
real robot. Very useful in a school environment where there are many more
students than real physical robots.

I leave it to you / Redbull to decide whether any of the above is
appropriate.

NOTE: I'm a DPRG member, but not a MakerSpace member.

Dick Swan

972 407 1972 (home office)

214 755 7479 (mobile)