[DPRG] tail assisted dynamic self righting

Subject: [DPRG] tail assisted dynamic self righting
From: David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Date: Mon Jul 30 20:01:53 CDT 2012

As an additional point, I've been watching the guys race their off-road
R/C cars down at Mike's hobby (which, by the way, would be a great place
for an "outdoor" robot contest ... Jason?)  and I noticed that they are
able to control the cars attitude during the leaps and jumps that they
do.  Sort of like this tail scheme, but without the tail.

I asked one of the drivers how they do it, and he told me that
accelerating the wheels during free-fall will tip the nose of the car
up, and hitting the brakes during free-fall will tip the nose of the car
down.  In this way the drivers prepare for landing.

The tail is cool for attitude control, but for a wheeled robot might not
be necessary...

cheers,
dpa