[DPRG] Garage Sensor

Subject: [DPRG] Garage Sensor
From: Tom Brusehaver cozytom at gmail.com
Date: Sat Sep 1 22:22:04 CDT 2012

I have a kind of weird idea. A way to know if my garage door is open or not.
I am halfway to work, did I really shut the garage door or not? If I could check
my smartphone, I would know, but how do get the data from the garage to
my smart phone??

I want to put a SBC in the garage, something with WiFi, less messing
around with wires. Have a magnetic reed switch tell if it is closed or not
wired to one of the GPIO pins on the SBC.

Once all that is done, I still need a server to act as a gateway to
the smartphone
to let it know when it is open or closed.

This is the idea I have so far, using gmail as my server. The SBC sends an
smtp message to some tomsgarage at gmail.com or something, then the
smartphone will subscribe to that mail box. I can have a macro or rule
setup to delete email older than a day, or when ever a new state is set,
delete the previous state. A simple open/closed message in the subject
line will let me know what state things are in. I can check trash to see
the history of opens and closes.

My question is, what would be the cheapest SBC with WiFi out there?
The Insignia infocast might be, at about $30 from ebay, but maybe
someone has something better?