[DPRG] cheap ST Micro IMU (but 3.3V power and I/O)

Subject: [DPRG] cheap ST Micro IMU (but 3.3V power and I/O)
From: richard neveau rsneveau at hotmail.com
Date: Sat Sep 15 21:44:02 CDT 2012

 While talking to ST about STM32F3xx  I discovered they also have pretty cheap eval kits for just the 'IMU' chips (not $12 <g>) if you can handle the 3.3V power &  I/O directly.  Might work well with the F4 Discovery boards if you have spun up a design on them already (or of course any MPU with 3.3V I2C interface port)
One eval board has same MEMS chips (L3GD20 3-axis gyro and an LSM303DLHC 3-axis accelerometer and 3-axis magnetometer) as on $50 Pololu IMU board Doug showed off recently
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1268
but needs 3.3V Power & I/O and is in a slightly bigger 28 Pin DIL (wide DIP) package.
http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/DATA_BRIEF/DM00041389.pdf
but is only $27.60 at Digikey or $28.75 at Mouser.
This eval board is same form factor (28 pin DIL) but adds a pressure sensor and is still $32.40 at Digikey and $35.10 at Mouser
http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/DATA_BRIEF/DM00052740.pdf
Looks like ST has a standard form factor (28 pin DIL) for these sensor boards so maybe easy to upgrade in the future ??

NOTE these do not have the 5V tolerance the Pololu board has but for some people might work out just fine.
The Pololu MinIMU-9 v2 board includes a voltage regulator and a level-shifting circuit that allows operation from 2.5 to 5.5 V