[DPRG] Lipo fire in nbot?

Subject: [DPRG] Lipo fire in nbot?
From: John Dolecek jdolecek at gmail.com
Date: Mon Apr 15 15:37:21 CDT 2013

I'd say you are lucky your car wasn't damaged more! I've used a lot of
lipos with no problems in RCs and robots, but every once in a while you
hear a story like this...or someones house or shop getting burned down from
it.

Do you have any idea as to the cause? Overcharged? Overdischarged? Short?
Black cats?

I'm not an expert, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once. If I had to
guess I would say you had batteries that probably got abused a few times in
their short lifetime rendering them a little unstable. It's started to warm
up outside and that means the inside of the cars is getting really hot. I
have heard warnings several times stating that you should not leave them in
your car for this reason. The batteries probably overheated, melted
insulation and caused an internal short in one cell that caused a chain
reaction throughout both batteries causing the whole thing to go up. I
think you're really lucky it wasn't worse. The blanket probably kept the
car from going up, but it may have played a part in the cause as well.

Let us know how it goes!

John