[DPRG] Please speak to me about SR518/Dynamixel servo deadzone/deadband, why I'd want it, and what to do with it

Subject: [DPRG] Please speak to me about SR518/Dynamixel servo deadzone/deadband, why I'd want it, and what to do with it
From: dlc dlc at frii.com
Date: Sun Jul 21 12:35:28 CDT 2013

I think that you've nailed it.  Noting in this world is perfect. The
dead zone keeps a servo from continually oscillating and from responding
to minute, unimportant perturbations.  "Old" hobby servos are analog
which makes a dead zone difficult to define.  The better hobby servos
that are digital have dead zones defined, and even programmable.  Good
hobby RC transmitters allow you to program dead zones and "dead-ish"
zones (exponential steering for example).  When you have infinite power
(and robust gearing) or short operational times you can eliminate or
minimize the dead zone (think milling machines or cruise missiles) when
you want insane accuracy.  It has been my experience when programming
servo algorithms that I use dead zones more often than not.  With cheap
hobby servos I program the dead zone into the joystick since I can't do
it on the servo.

As usual, YMMV, this is just my experience with servos and dead zones.

DLC

--
Dennis Clark          TTT Enterprises
www.techtoystoday.com