[DPRG] DPRG: Stamp Bug Kits

Subject: [DPRG] DPRG: Stamp Bug Kits
From: Doug Paradis paradug at gmail.com
Date: Sat Jul 27 09:01:24 CDT 2013

Whit+,
    I have a StampBug (version 4.2) from around 1978. It was a kit produced
by Milford Instruments. The robot deck and legs are made of thick PCB. The
end of the robot's legs use a common rubber grommet and heat shrink boot
for traction. It uses three Cirrus CS-50 (Taiwan) servos attached to the
deck with tie wraps and sporting cross type horns, four AA batteries, and a
Parallax Stamp (version 1.4 - 18 pin PDIP package). The robot has a 3 pin,
100 mil spaced header marked PC that was used to program the robot. I do
not have the software or the tools to program the robot.  Luckily, it has a
working program. The robot uses two piano wire "antenna" trapped between
two 100 mil spaced pins for sensors. When the antenna is disturbed the
piano wire touches one of the pins indicating collision with an obstacle.
The sensors are the weak point, the space between the two limit pins should
have been a little wider. Currently, they need a bit of fiddling each time
the robot is brought out of storage. Overall the robot is a neat, simple
and well thought out design.  It gets displayed and played with at some of
the DPRG robot demonstrations. You might catch a glimpse of the StampBug
walking around in some of the DPRG videos. Someday I hope to make a
modified laser cut version using another controller. It would be
interesting to create a swarm of these.

Regards,
Doug P.