[DPRG] Ideas for a Rover Class

Subject: [DPRG] Ideas for a Rover Class
From: Paradug paradug at gmail.com
Date: Tue Aug 5 12:07:26 CDT 2014

Rud,
     This idea has a lot of merit. I do have some reservations about a 2 day event. Also, currently we have people pursuing varied paths to building an autonomous rover. I would like to keep this diversity of approaches for at least through our November contest. A review of the results of that contest would provide direction for the club’s next step in developing a solid core of  skills.

     On the other hand, an 6-8 hour event (maybe at RBNO or on a weekend), that focused on skills that would be common to all approaches might be a great kick in the pants for everyone. It might also better fit in the busy schedules of members. It would be best to poll the members and see if they are interested and what subjects they would want included.

     I am not too interested in a pushing a specific build for a rover. I have seen members pursuing converted RC rovers, Dagu tank, 6WD, and 4WD chassis , home built chassis, and David’s JBot.  People are also investigating a multiple of sensor suites and the use of ROS.  I think the different approaches are great.

     Our immediate goal is for the rover to be able to successfully complete RoboColumbus.  This means that the rover should be able to move in a given direction for a specific distance, locate a target at the end of the run and stop when it reaches the target. There are many ways to achieve these four goals.

     In the future, we want to our rover robots is to be able to successfully run the Sparkfun Autonomous Vehicle competition, SRS RoboMagellen, and successfully repeat David Anderson’s hat trick. This would require the addition of good object avoidance, multiple waypoint navigation,  greater speed, and the ability to travel more difficult terrain. If the rover is meant to evolve (i.e., not a RoboColumbus specific robot), these things should be considered in the beginning of the robot build.  However you must crawl before you walk. The time, cost and skill restraints, that our members are under may require them building a basic rover that can only meet the objectives of RoboColumbus. A good intermediate approach is to build robust modules with solid capabilities that can be transported to other robots.

     Developing robust modules might be the approach to take at such an event. As with your experience at the Houston TXRX makerspace, people should leave the meet-up with a module that works. This means that the hardware and software of the module is built to the level that it can be used. Here is a quick and incomplete list of ideas:

Sensors:
    1. multiple ultrasonic sensor array capable of targeting an object (similar to David’s JBot ultrasonic array).
    2. Data merging GPS data
    3. Targeting with Pixey
    4. Neato LiDAR with ROS
    5. Robust bumper system
Communication:
    1. A RC based deadman switch
    2. Method to log run data
    3. How to add FPV (real time or stored video)
Navigation:
    1. Build encoder and use with Arduino
    2. Pololu IMU using DCM
    3. APM2.6 autopilot
    4. GPS S/W routines
Other:
    1. Behavior-based robotics with Arduino
    2. Practical ROS
    3. Blob detection and targeting with OpenCV or SimpleCV using Rp or BBB boards.

Again, the idea would be at the end of the session the participants would have a working module that they could use on their robot. Parts would have to be ordered and received before the event, there would need to be tools to assemble the hardware and software that could be used to drive the module. There would need to be a “teacher” who had some knowledge about the goal and could get everyone started. Since interest in a specific module would vary due the the individual’s resources ($), strategy for competing, or just plain desire. The event should maybe pick 2 modules to pursue, an easy one and a more challenging one.

Regards,
Doug P.