[DPRG] Roborama size rule clarification

Subject: [DPRG] Roborama size rule clarification
From: John Swindle swindle at compuserve.com
Date: Mon Aug 18 02:09:08 CDT 2014

The rules say the robot is limited to 4' by 4' by 4'. Does that
mean the robot has to fit in a four foot cube, or does it further
constrain to say the robot is no more than four feet high from
the ground? May I stand the robot on one of its verticies?

If a cube is stood on a vertex, there's about seven feet
separation between level-to-ground verticies. That would be great
for sonar. Keeping it a cube flat on the ground limits that
separation to about 5.5 feet.

Without a hill between the start and the target, I think the
contest can be done with active sonar, without GPS or odometry or
inertial nav or anything else. Haven't proven it yet, but the
simulations suggest it would work over several hundred feet.

If the target is not "visible" due to a hill, but there's a tree
within a hundred feet or so, then active sonar can be used as a
self-contained localizer using the tree as a passive beacon.
That's OK with the rules since the tree wasn't added to the
arena. Coupled with the GPS coordinates (but no GPS receiver),
and the allowance that the robot can be aimed at the start, I
think the contest can be done with sound alone.

That's what I'm working on. The most difficult scenario for my
simulation is a vast open field with one hill.

Later,
John Swindle