[DPRG] Magnetic declination

Subject: [DPRG] Magnetic declination
From: David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Date: Tue Aug 19 13:39:19 CDT 2014

Howdy,

For those working on outdoor robots navigating to GPS coordinates using
a magnetic compass or IMU-based magnetometers, the difference between
magnetic north and true north needs to be incorporated into the heading
calculations.

In the before-time, the local magnetic variation was included in the GPS
NMEA $GPRMC sentence in fields 10 and 11, but that no longer appears to
be the case.  My GPS currently returns zero for both of those fields,
and Steve Edwards confirmed this with his GPS at the last RBNO.

Rats!

I think the GPS satellite guys just got tired of having to upload new
magnetic maps all the time.  Too bad

So it looks like for jBot the magnetic variation will need to be entered
by hand for any particular location.  That change has now been  made to
jBot's navigation code.

There's probably an app for your GPS-equipped smartphone that can return
the local variation, but I haven't found a good one.  In the meantime,
the NOAA website at:

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/?id=declinationFormId

provides a calculator that allows you to enter a lat/lon (and date!) and
returns the correct magnetic variation.  For the SMU campus in Dallas it
currently returns 3.58 degrees E (i.e., add 3.58 to your compass
heading) and says it changes by 7.5 minutes per year.

Anybody got a slicker way of automating this process?

cheers,
dpa