[DPRG] 2015 RoboColumbus

Subject: [DPRG] 2015 RoboColumbus
From: David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Date: Thu Dec 4 15:42:05 CST 2014

James,

That's a nice idea.

I think it really comes down to when the awards are handed out. Each
possible score is actually a little harder task.  So you can think of
the scoring as 7 incrementally harder tasks.  We can award a first place
in each scoring category, which I think is a form of what you are
proposing.

So a robot without the ability to find and touch a cone, that enters
three way point circles, scores 3 points since that is a harder task
than entering two.  It would beat a robot that only scored 2, and if
those were the only two robots in the competition, it would win!

The scoring hopefully is designed so that robots with the same score
have accomplished similarly difficult tasks.  Here's maybe a better
graph of that (note: needs mono-spaced font to work):

Points          Target           Bonus         Origin
              circle  cone    circle  cone    circle cone
2              1                               1
3              1               1               1
4              1       1                       1
5              1       1       1               1
6              1       1                       1     1
7              1       1       1               1     1
9              1       1       1      1        1     1

So as I say, you can think of it as 1 contest with 7 levels of
difficulty, or as 7 little mini-contests in which you might be the only
contestant in your category.

cheers
dpa