[DPRG] Hero 1

Subject: [DPRG] Hero 1
From: Tom Brusehaver cozytom at gmail.com
Date: Sun Jan 5 19:11:29 CST 2014

As a former owner of a Hero 1, this one sounds like it
isn't worth restoring. The wrist is repairable, the shoulder
is the tough one, you only get two tries there, and you
have to buy plastic, or build something.

The trouble with the stock electronics is the lack of
non-volatile storage. Sure there are serial interfaces
available, and they work, allowing you to program them
from a laptop or something, but in the end, you don't
have a real good development environment.

It would be good if someone built a "standard" robot
library similar to the hero libraries. Right now, I think
the RasPi is the best value for a robot brain.

If it still has the Gel Cells, get rid of them. There are
some three cell lead acid batteries that will almost
drop in for them. Same charger will work.

Ebay has many of the needed parts for a restore, but
it'll be very expensive. Otherwise robotswanted.com
has the remaining inventory of parts from heathkit.