[DPRG] FAA and Commercial Drones

Subject: [DPRG] FAA and Commercial Drones
From: David P. Anderson davida at smu.edu
Date: Sat Jan 11 15:58:54 CST 2014

Interesting find, Rud.

I was wondering what the difference is between this video footage, shot
by a remotely operated drone, and video footage shot from helicopters,
which we see on TV all the time.

I think the last line in the article, to the effect that it can't be
allowed because there are no rules in place, makes sense.

I'm a card-carrying member of the AMA and fly helicopters at AMA
sanctioned fields and events.  We have LOTS of "rules in place" that are
required for safety, with the enforcement proviso that your AMA
liability insurance will not cover any mishaps if you were not following
the rules.   That, and the other flyers yelling at you, form a pretty
strong incentive to follow the rules.

I haven't observed amateur drone and quad-copter pilots following ANY
rules at all.   From where I sit, that looks awfully dangerous.
Especially flying around crowds, flying OVER crowds of people, taking
off and landing in unsecured areas, etc, etc. Risky business.

So, bring on the rules!   I think they are sorely needed.  The AMA might
be a good place to start.  They've been thinking about these problems
for decades.

best
dpa