[DPRG] FAA and Commercial Drones

Subject: [DPRG] FAA and Commercial Drones
From: Tom Brusehaver cozytom at gmail.com
Date: Sat Jan 11 16:10:09 CST 2014

> I was wondering what the difference is between this video footage, shot by
> a remotely operated drone, and video footage shot from helicopters, which
> we see on TV all the time.

The Magic Word is Commercial use. Footage shot by a helicopter
is usually filmed by an aircraft that meets minimum requirements
(PMA'd parts, TSO'd radios, etc), and is piloted by a commercially
rated pilot.

> I think the last line in the article, to the effect that it can't be
> allowed because there are no rules in place, makes sense.

Pilot qualifications have not been set, and aircraft standards have
not been established.

> I'm a card-carrying member of the AMA and fly helicopters at AMA
> sanctioned fields and events.  We have LOTS of "rules in place" that are
> required for safety, with the enforcement proviso that your AMA liability
> insurance will not cover any mishaps if you were not following the rules.
> That, and the other flyers yelling at you, form a pretty strong incentive
> to follow the rules.

But you are not compensated for your flying. You have your butt covered
should something bad happen in your hobbiest pursuit, but as soon as
you start charging money for your operation, you will probably not have
insurance, and the FAA will come "to help".

> I haven't observed amateur drone and quad-copter pilots following ANY
> rules at all.   From where I sit, that looks awfully dangerous.
> Especially flying around crowds, flying OVER crowds of people, taking off
> and landing in unsecured areas, etc, etc.  Risky business.

And if something happens, the FAA will be barbequed, saying "why wasn't
something done to stop this".

> So, bring on the rules!   I think they are sorely needed.  The AMA might
> be a good place to start.  They've been thinking about these problems for
> decades.

It is a start, certainly.