[DPRG] FAA and Commercial Drones

Subject: [DPRG] FAA and Commercial Drones
From: Rud Merriam k5rud at arrl.net
Date: Sat Jan 11 16:14:17 CST 2014

I suspect there is not a lot of difference for this type of footage
since the operator is probably in visual range of the drone. Much as
with your flying events the operator can see if something else is
entering the airspace. The problem with manual drones comes when they
are out of range of the operator and cannot see the helicopter
approaching at 100s of miles per hour...and the helicopter pilot cannot
see the miniscule drone. That is also the case with autonomous drones -
incomplete situational awareness.

I expect the FAA is working to avoid a lot of case-by-case discussions
by simply saying "NO!" now.

There is also the FCC involved since the frequency space also needs to
be deconflicted. Spread spectrum may prevent an evil operator from
taking over another drone but it cannot prevent loss of control. Even if
the operator retains control what if the video link is lost because of
jamming?

Technically the amateurs are not, unfortunately, regulated, yet. I
spotted something but cannot provide a reference about the AMA signing
an agreement with the FAA on drones.

I stumbled on this researching accelerometer and gyroscope fusion for my
SRR rovers.

- 73 -
*Rud Merriam K5RUD
* /Mystic Lake Software <http://mysticlakesoftware.com/>