[DPRG] FAA and Commercial Drones

Subject: [DPRG] FAA and Commercial Drones
From: David P. Anderson davida at smu.edu
Date: Sat Jan 11 16:41:24 CST 2014

Also mechanical failure.   These things break.  Even if the control and
software were perfect, which they are not.  Lots of angular momentum and
spinning sharp things. All held together with those 1/4 cent plastic
ball-links.  What faith we have.

I can go to the local flying field and fly my camera-equipped remotely
operated drone or quad-copter (if I had one), just like any other
aircraft at the field, subject to the same rules.  I see guys there
doing it all the time.

It's questionable, however, if I can fly up and down my block over the
roofs and yards of the neighbours and their playing children with my
remotely operated vehicle.   I would say that to do that, you had to
have some sort of license and there needs to be rules in place govening
the allowed airspace.  Can you buzz around a crowd at eye-level?  If
not, how high do you have to be?  And so forth.   Just like to drive on
the public streets requires a licence, and a set of rules.   There's
also a commercial driver's license, if you want to do it for pay, the
requirements are stricter.   Seems like the same thing might apply.

The FAA-AMA  "memorandum of understanding" was, I think, more about the
AMA's fear that the new drone technology would make our traditional
hobby illegal.   I think it was sort of a way of carving out a
pre-exemption for the AMA from whatever drone rules are eventually
adopted.  We'll see...

best
dpa