[DPRG] Basic Arduino Class

Subject: [DPRG] Basic Arduino Class
From: paradug paradug at gmail.com
Date: Sat Jan 18 12:54:07 CST 2014

At the DPRG RBNO on Tuesday, 01/28/14, I will hold a basic Arduino class. The class will last 2 hours and will start at 7:30 PM. The class style will be informal with several demonstrations. The class will be held in a manner not to disturb RBNO. If you are interested, please send me an email so I will know how many to expect. If there isn’t any interest, the class will be called off.

WHO IS THE CLASS FOR?
This class is for someone who has bought an Arduino board, but doesn’t know what to do next.

WHAT DO I NEED TO HAVE?
Attendees to the class should bring a laptop, an Arduino board, and an USB cable. If they own
the following they should also bring: jumper wires, six volt battery pack, motor shield, hobby
servo, ultrasonic sensor, and plastic bread board. You don’t need to buy the items listed above,
but if you have them, bring them.

WHAT IS GOING TO BE COVERED?
The agenda for the class is:
  1.. Ensure the Arduino programming environment is properly setup.
    -- downloading environment
    -- checking driver
    -- setting board and serial port
    -- blink LED
  2.. Review of the Arduino programming environment.
    -- parts of the environment
    -- libraries and sample programs
    -- adding a new library
  3.. How basic Arduino programs are organized
    -- basic program structure
    -- good practices
    -- using the serial terminal to troubleshoot
  4.. Controlling a hobby servo.
    -- how a hobby servo works
    -- a simple hobby servo tester
    -- hobby servo as motor (continuous rotation)
  5.. Simple IR proximity sensor (A/D demo)
    -- how to make a simple sensor
    -- using the sensor to detect obstacles
  6.. Using an ultrasonic sensor
    -- how ultrasonic sensors work
    -- common pitfalls
  7.. Adding a 16x2 LCD display using eBay I2C module
    -- what is I2C?
    -- why use I2C